Each time you drive in or out of the garage it's an opener activates the door to lift or lower the door. According to the statistics, a usual garage door in the United States moves ups and down 1,500 times a year. That's obvious that opening and shutting make door openers wear out and eventually break down due to electric or mechanical issues. As for the repair cost, it depends on the opener type and the presence/absence of 'companion' electric problems.
There are 3 main types of door openers - chain drive, belt drive, and screw-drive garage door openers. Each type has pros and cons as well as different requirements. In general, a single door opener installation would cost you between $200 and $425. As usual professional assistance provided by specialists costs much more, however, we have a different purpose in this review - we are going to estimate the requirements and costs for installing a new garage door opener on a DIY basis. But is it that simple? An experienced garage owner and his assistant need just basic carpentry skills and know-how to use standard household tools like a hammer, a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, a hack saw, pliers, a level, and a wire stripper, a tape, measure, and so on.
Opener replacement usually lasts for 6 hours and costs 49% less than hiring a specialist. It's worth remembering though that if you don't feel confident about electrical jobs, it would be a very smart idea to call for a licensed electrician - they typically charge $70-80 for the whole job. An electrician can be really helpful if you don't have proper experience with wiring and electricity.
An average cost plan includes:
A garage door opener is a practical purchase if you require a convenient method to raise and lower your garage door. Wall-mounted garage door openers operate your garage doors by pressing a button. They need installation, but once assembled, new garage door openers simplify the process of opening and closing your garage doors. In the following guide, we examine the top garage door opener choices available on Amazon, along with crucial factors to think about before buying one.
1. Best Kit: Chamberlain B970 Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Opener
2. Best For Light Doors: Chamberlain B550 Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Opener
3. Best Voice Assistance: Genie 7155-TKV StealthDrive Connect Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Opener
4. Easiest Installation: beamUP The Workhorse BU100 Sectional Garage Door Opener
5. Best Sensors: Skylink Atoms ATR-1611C Garage Door Opener
Chamberlain B970 Garage Door Opener
Price: $319.99 (Prices accurate at the time of publication)
This garage door opener includes an outdoor keypad, an indoor remote, two remote controls for remote access, two sensors, and a battery backup for power during power outages. The built-in technology enables real-time alerts through the mobile app. Here are the pros and cons:
- Comes with a battery backup to ensure operation during power outages
- Remote range of up to 1,500 feet
- Works well in extreme weather conditions, including heat and humidity
- The smartphone app requires a subscription for certain features
- Design may appear somewhat outdated
Positive reviews highlight the easy installation process and the convenience and reliability of this garage door opener. Many customers appreciate its quiet operation and effectiveness in cold weather. Negative reviews criticize the product for requiring a subscription to access certain features on the smartphone app.
Chamberlain B550 Garage Door Opener
Price: $209 (Prices accurate at the time of publication)
This garage door opener is designed for lighter doors and features a 0.5-horsepower-equivalent motor. The remote-access accessories utilize encrypted codes to ensure secure operation. Here are the pros and cons:
- Includes a wireless keypad
- Remote-access accessories use encrypted codes to prevent unauthorized access
- Installation is made easier with online videos
- Does not come with a battery backup
- Some customers found the installation instructions confusing
Satisfied customers appreciate the excellent motion detection and low noise level of this smart garage door opener. Many found the installation process to be easy. However, some customers were disappointed that they had to purchase a subscription to access all the functions in the included app. They also mentioned difficulties in understanding the installation instructions.
Genie 7155-TKV Garage Door Opener
Price: $299.99 (Prices accurate at the time of publication)
This smart garage door opener operates quietly with a DC motor and a steel-reinforced belt drive, making it an ideal choice for garages connected to bedrooms or nurseries. It can be controlled through a smartphone and is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home for voice control. Additionally, it is easy to install without requiring any additional hardware.
- Includes five lithium batteries
- Comes with two pre-programmed remotes
- The motor has to lift power equivalent to 1.25 horsepower
- Higher price compared to other garage door openers
- Some customers experienced weak connection with Amazon Alexa
Positive reviews emphasize the quietness of this garage door opener's motor and the high-quality materials it offers for the price. Many customers found the installation process to be easy. However, some customers encountered difficulties in connecting or using the opener with Amazon Alexa.
beamUP BU100 Garage Door Opener
Price: $199.99 (Prices accurate at the time of publication)
This garage door opener features a sleek, all-white design, making it a stylish addition to modern homes. It comes with instruction manuals, video tutorials, and tech support to assist customers during the installation process.
- Strong enough to operate single- and double-garage doors
- Available in multiple styles
- Sleek white design
- Some customers experienced difficulties connecting the device to HomeLink
- Comes with fewer accessories compared to other garage door openers in this review
Positive reviews praised the easy installation process and the quiet operation of the DC motor. Many customers were satisfied with the company's customer service. However, some customers encountered issues with connecting this garage door opener model to HomeLink. Additionally, a few customers reported missing installation pieces and accessories.
Skylink Atoms ATR-1611C Garage Door Opener
Price: $149.99 (Prices accurate at the time of publication)
This garage door opener includes a one-button remote and a keychain fob. It also comes with two infrared sensors that attach to the garage door to ensure there are no obstructions. Additionally, it features an integrated LED light for improved visibility in the garage.
- More affordable compared to similar garage door openers
- Includes a keychain fob for convenience
- Works with in-car remotes without requiring additional hardware
- Backup battery is sold separately
- Does not have smart home technology capabilities
Positive reviews praised the minimal noise, sensitive motion detection, and easy installation of this opener. Many customers found it to be a high-quality option considering its cost. However, some negative reviews mentioned that their model stopped working after a short period.